I’ve mentioned before that my father took a Chinese cooking course as a gift from my mother. I absolutely loved everything he made, it was all so yummy and felt like I was going to a restaurant, but getting to eat at home. One of the things he learned to make was hoisin sauce (definitely worth making yourself -so much cheaper and better!).
He threw in some bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, mange tout, rice noodles and cashews to make hoisin chicken a meal on its own. But honestly, you can substitute rice noodles for any other king or the mange tout for broccoli and it is still amazing. For now, though, I’ll stick to dad’s recipe.
Dad’s Hoisin Chicken (Serves 4)
- 1 lb (1/2 kg) chicken breast
- 4 tsp light soy sauce
- 4 tsp rice wine
- 2 tsp tapioca starch (you can use cornstarch if you cannot find tapioca starch)
- 250g mange tout
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 5 tbsp hoisin sauce (see below)
- 2 tbsp penut oil
- 1 pack of rice noodles
for Hoisin Sauce (makes 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup white miso (I’ve heard some people substitute peanut butter)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
1. First, marinade the chicken:
combine the light soy, 2 tsp rice wine vinegar and tapioca starch (or corn starch) in a bowl
add the chicken and stir to coat
Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, no more than overnight.
2. Then make the hoisin sauce:
Combine all hoisin ingredients in a saucepan on low heat until smooth, then take off the heat immediately and let cool.
3. oil rice noodles for 2-3 minutes until soft.
4. Once chicken is marinaded, take it out of the fridge and heat 1 of the tbsp peanut oil in a frying pan on low-medium heat
5. Add the cashews and cook for 2 minutes, until toasted.
6. Remove chestnuts and put aside on a paper towel
7. Add second tbsp oil to the pan and cook the chicken until brown on all sides, approx. 10 minutes
8. Add vegetables, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and hoisin sauce and coat chicken. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes
9. Add rice noodles and cook for a further minute
10. Serve topped with roasted cashews!
I hope you enjoy!