Easy Hot and Sour Soup – Serves 4, about 30 minutes
- 850ml (4 cups) chicken stock or vegtable stock
- 150g oyster mushrooms
- a section of fresh root ginger as thick as your thumb, cut into slices
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dried chili flakes
- 1 50g can of bamboo shoots
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- handful of sliced spring onions
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg, beaten
Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes
*optional* If you are including chicken, dice the chicken thighs to bite-size pieces and sauté in a frying pan until cooked through.
After 20 minutes, add the beaten egg while stirring the soup with a spoon. The egg with shatter into floating strips (as in the picture)
*optional* add the chicken
Cook for a further 2 minutes
Serve warm and enjoy!
Increase the heat under the stock to medium-high, and return to a rolling boil. Add the chicken. Return to the boil, and then drizzle in the egg while stirring slowly to create long strands of egg. Stir in the vinegar and cornflour. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and the stock has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Serve garnished with spring onions and coriander.